No announcement yet.

Color match for `maroon` 1980 XS 1100 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color match for `maroon` 1980 XS 1100 ?

Hi all, hope i`m posting in the right section but i wanted to ask what is the name of the paint color that you look for at Shucks or Orielys please? I want to body fill and paint my tank and if i`m not wrong the color is described as `maroon`. I don`t see any tins of paint called maroon so i wonder if `candy apple` or ?? is close?
    79 SF

Originally posted by Dusterman View Post
    You probably won't believe it but the: "DARK TOREADOR RED" from Ford, late 1990's matches very well and is inexpensive too. You can still get touch up bottles and spray cans at the auto parts store.
    I tried it on a test piece of metal and found it difficult to tell the difference.
    I hope this helps.

That is the closest you will find without doing a computer match.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Model Code Serial # Year Color(s)
      XS1100E 2H7 2H7-000101 1978 Macho Maroon
      XS1100F 2H7 2H7-020101 1979 Magenta Red, Indigo Blue
      XS1100SF 3H3 3H3-000101 1979 Carmine Red, Black Gold
      XS1100G 3H5 3H5-000101 1980 Diamond Silver, New Ruby Red
      XS1100SG 3J6 3J6-000101 1980 Black Red, New Ruby Red
      XS1100LG 4H3/4H4 4H3-000101 1980 New Yamaha Black
      XS1100H 4R1 4R1-000101 1981 Indigo Blue
      XS1100SH 4R0 4R0-000101 1981 Black Blue, Cardinal Red
      XS1100LH 4W1 4W1-000001 1981 New Yamaha Black
      XJ1100J 10M 10M-000101 1982 New Yamaha Black, New Ruby Red

Not sure if this helps, found it last month.
      81 H

Comment

RE-Color match for `maroon` 1980 XS 1100 ?

WOW--quickest fix i have ever had from our site!! Thanks very much John for the name of the alternative `maroon` color, really appreciate it. I shall get on with the project with a big smile--Thanks again--Jerro
        79 SF

Comment

People have tried for a long time to find a match without success. You might find something close but most likely it wont have the gold flake in the paint either.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            People have tried for a long time to find a match without success. You might find something close but most likely it wont have the gold flake in the paint either.
            It's used here in the UK, no problem. The respray I had done on the last XS1100 (black) was the official Yamaha black, with the gold dusting too. The person I use mixes up the paint (two-pack) himself and it's exactly correct. He uses the original colour code to make up the paint. I can pass on his details if required....
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Please do James. As far as I know no one over here has ever been able to get the color codes for any of the colors.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

http://www.roadrashpaintwork.co.uk/

There's your man. He resprayed my last XS1100 and also my GL1000. His name is John and he can be slow to respond via e-mail but does eventually. He can duplicate any 'official' colour from the code......

Here's the job on the GL1000

and the XS1100

Sparkle in the paint can be seen on this seat fairing shot.....

Last edited by James England; 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Color Match

Had a need to re-paint a side cover on 79 special. Took it to my favorite body shop and gave them the Yamaha color code. It was the correct code, but it was old.

The shop had their paint rep. take it to his lab and they used a sort of camera that "read" the paint and prescribed the exact mixture for the color.

It matched perfectly. I was very pleased. Even got an extra pint that has all of the ingredients on a label to easily match it next time. Sometimes the color code just doesn't work, but getting the right match is still obtainable.

MP
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

James those are some gnarly toes!

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      James those are some gnarly toes!

John
                      You're right. I can't think why I asked him to airbrush them onto the tank like that....

Comment

Working...
                      X